All self-referrals, or referrals from other professionals to Mindwell are welcome. You may be eligible for a rebate through your private health fund or Medicare so check those sections below.
GP referrals – Mental Health Care Plans
- Most patients who are experiencing emotional distress will obtain a Mental Health Care Plan from their GP so they can access Medicare funding to see a psychologist. This involves making a long consultation with your GP and discussing your current difficulties. Once the GP has assessed that you qualify for the Medicare rebate, they will provide you with a Mental Health Care Plan. Eligibility is based on current levels of distress rather than mental health history or diagnosis.
- The Medicare rebate for Clinical Psychologists is $126.50 for a total of 10 sessions per calendar year. There is still a gap fee involved. See FEES for more information.
- The Medicare rebate for Psychologists is $86.15 for a total of 10 sessions per calendar year. There is still a gap fee involved. See FEES for more information.
- After 6 sessions you are required to return to the GP for a check-in appointment and to obtain approval for a further 4 sessions if required.
- The decision for Medicare to help fund 10 sessions per year is a financial decision, rather than a therapeutic one. It does not reflect the average or optimal number of sessions required to work through psychological issues. However, it is an excellent start and a very helpful financial support.
- Bring a copy of your plan along to the first session.
Private Health Insurance
You may be eligible for a rebate through Private Health Extras Cover. All Private Health funds have different policies for psychological services. Please contact your fund directly to check if you are eligible for a rebate. The Mindwell Clinic has HICAPS onsite for your convenience, so you only have to pay the gap fee.
Mindwell can offer private psychology appointments for people who have self-managed NDIS plans. Call and make an appointment today.
If you have been injured at your workplace you may be entitled to medical and related treatment which can include psychological services. If you have obtained a medical certificate from your GP and this includes a recommendation to see a psychologist as part of your rehabilitation, please contact us to obtain these services. You may need to see a psychologist for support. WorkCover may refer you to a psychologist once your claim has been approved. We will work with you and your insurer to ensure you get the appropriate support to recover and return to work.
VOCAT (Victims of Crime Assistance Tribunal)
The Mindwell team are highly trained in treating people who have experienced trauma in their lives. We often see clients who are eligible to apply for (or who already have approved) funding from VOCAT. VOCAT is the Victims of Crime Assistance Tribunal which provides financial support to victims of violent crimes. If you have been the direct victim of a violent crime, tried to prevent a crime, attempted to assist a victim, or have lost someone close to you as a result of a crime, you may be eligible to make an application for counselling.
TAC (Transport Accident Commission)
Mindwell is proud to be a registered provider for TAC. Traffic accidents can have a devastating effect on individuals and families. Our team has a wealth of experience in helping clients adjust after an accident or loss, deal with chronic pain, and manage mood or anxiety disorders as a result of trauma. Please call today to make an appointment.