Many people seek therapy to deal with grief and loss. Grieving is a process that can come from any form of loss, for example losing an important friendship, a job that you loved, a home that you lived in your whole life, or even losing your autonomy or sense of identity as a result of injury. Losing a loved one is one of the most traumatic and painful experiences of loss. Grief is a very personal experience and can affect people very differently. There are some common emotional responses to grief:
- Anger or irritability
- Deep sadness and mood swings
- Feeling helpless or numb
- Feeling disconnected
- Loss of appetite
- Loss of motivation
- Poor concentration or forgetfulness
- Disrupted sleep
Sometimes after a loss these emotions feel overwhelming and it is difficult to function normally. It can help with the healing process to explore and work through your feelings with a supportive and empathic therapist who understands the grieving process.
Grief counselling can help with:
- Processing painful thoughts, feelings and memories associated with the loss
- Finding ways to manage feelings associated with grief
- Accepting and moving forward with your life
- Finding joy in your life again
The psychologists at Mindwell are able to help in dealing with grief and loss so please reach out and make an appointment.